This error may occur because QuickBooks Quick Startup enables QuickBooks to load your company file faster by leaving the QuickBooks application process (QBW32.exe) running in the background.
To fix the issue
1. Reboot your computer.
2. Right-click the QuickBooks icon or shortcut, and then click Run as administrator.
3. On the Edit menu, click Preferences.
4. In the left pane, click General, and then on the My Preferences tab, clear the Keep QuickBooks running for quick startups check box, and click OK.
5. Close QuickBooks and restart your computer.
Tip If you don't want to restart your computer, you can end the appropriate process in Windows Task Manager.
- In the Windows Task Manager, on the Processes tab, click the QBW32.exe process, and then click End Process.
Note The QuickBooks process may have different names in different versions of Windows operating system.